Why create boundaries at all?
During historical development, human beings created boundaries to promote order and efficiency. For instance, boundaries were created first between different professions, by work specialization. This process was followed by defining (and redefining) boundaries between territories and states.
Why do we want to transcend boundaries if boundaries are so important?
with development, we may come to realize that:
- previously defined boundaries are wrong/inaccurate/no longer useful
- preexisting boundaries may become ambiguous
- ie. dichotomy between online and physical stores may be dissolving today
What qualities do we need if we were to engage in interdisciplinary learning?
- cultivate curiosity broadly
- have a high tolerance for complexity & ambiguity
- be ready to accept that not all efforts may payoff